Early Childhood Links

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Practicing Awareness of Microagressions

I need to admit that I used racial microaggression with Dr. Wing Sue when I saw him for the first time while watching the video. I did exactly the same thing the "white woman" did to him, asking him where he was born. My first impression when I saw him was that he is from China or Japan, and he speaks English with a little accent. I quickly did a mental story about Dr. Wing Sue, which was far from the reality. I imagined him coming to America, with his parents, when he was a little boy. I do come up with stories about people, and sad to say, stereotyping and using microaggressions with them. Now, I am more aware of the microaggression concepts and the different kind there exists. I need to work harder and follow the recommendations or conditions to be in place in order to avoid biases.

This week I have the opportunity to talk with a co-worker (Ana) who has a son that is getting marry soon. He is Hispanic, and his fiance is African American. Ana did not want to meet her daughter-in-law at first because she was not Puertorrican. I know this couple , and they are subtle people, and I explained Ana that the little time I have spent with this couple, I noticed how pleasant she is, not looking at races or anything. Microaggressions are everywhere, either you do it with people around you, or you become a victim of microaggression.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog. It is hard not use microaggressions. At first glance at someone, I usually have a tendency to wonder where they come from as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonna, I hope that you aren't being too hard on yourself. I would argue that you weren't using microaggressions when you began to ask yourself about his ethnicity. Maybe you were and that is indicative of how difficult identifying them can be.

    ReplyDelete

==>