Early Childhood Links

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Child Development and Public Health


Breastfeeding  

Breastfeeding is the normal way of providing young infants with the nutrients they need for healthy growth and development.  Breastfeeding can prevent many illnesses because this natural milk boosts the child’s immune system which is still developing.  Also is known that breastfeeding is one of the most effective ways to ensure children health and survival (fewer chances for SIDS).  Optimal breastfeeding together with complementary feeding help prevent malnutrition and can save millions of child lives. 

This topic is meaningful to me because it reminds me my experience in breastfeeding my daughter.  During prenatal care, I was getting ready with the best equipment to pump the milk while at work; I was constantly reading all kind of literature about breastfeeding to help me through the process.  I thought I was ready, and the process will be an easy one.   I was wrong.  Breastfeeding requires plenty preparation physically and mentally.  When I was in the hospital I was learning how to position my baby (in a way that she could be comfortable and me too).  The nurses were very supportive, and my family extraordinary in providing me the extra support I needed.  I could not breastfeed Rachel successfully, I felt frustrated, and depressed.  I knew that breast milk was the best option for my daughter, and I think the stress, and being first time mom, made it impossible for me to breastfeed  my daughter longer.  It only lasted for few weeks, before my doctor prescribed me antibiotics (breast infection).  I had to stop breastfeeding, and accept the idea that Rachel will be okay, that I could try again after the treatment (which I tried, but was not enough milk so I stopped tryingL). 

I really admire all the mothers who breastfeed their babies, and encourage everybody in the process to continue doing it.  The benefits of this natural nutrient for babies are countless, and it is the best way to show our love to our babies.  I found out that United States has a low statistics of mothers’ breastfeeding their children after the six months, compared with other nations in the world. 

The following websites have interesting information about breastfeeding




I loved to read the information; I would like to share with all of you about  

The first hour saves a million babies!

Starting to breastfeed during the first hour after birth is believed to be the first and most vital step in reducing neonatal mortality rates, as well as mortality rates in children under the age of five, also known as infant mortality, as set out in the Millennium Development Goals.

Promoting early breastfeeding and exclusive breastfeeding during the first six months of life were the key messages that were highlighted during World Breastfeeding Week in 2010, whose main objective was the promotion of a worldwide campaign to publicize the potential for saving one million newborn lives with the simple act of allowing them to start breastfeeding during the first hour of life.

The extraordinary first hour of life

Despite the numerous studies that have been conducted about the benefits of breastfeeding, it was only recently discovered the importance of providing mothers and her newborn babies with the opportunity of experiencing this first contact.

Researchers have assessed the effect of the timing of the first breastfeeding session on neonatal mortality, demonstrating that mortality rates can be reduced if newborn babies begin to feed during that first hour.

“Over a third of infant deaths take place during the first month of life, a very delicate stage”, said UNICEF’s Executive Director Ann M. Veneman. “Early breastfeeding provides basic nutrients, protects newborn babies against fatal diseases and promotes growth and development”.
A study carried out in Ghana and published in the medical journal Pediatrics indicates that it is possible to prevent 16% of neonatal deaths through breastfeeding from the first day of the baby’s life, a figure that could increase to 22% if breastfeeding begins during the first hour following birth.


In general, the skin-to-skin contact and the early consumption or colostrum are linked to a decrease in mortality during the first month of life.

An increase in exclusive breastfeeding is also linked with longer duration of breastfeeding over the following months. However, awareness of the facts is never going to be enough if mothers are not given constant support, from their families as well as their communities.


Breastfeeding in Bolivia


Bolivia is one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere; nearly two-thirds of its population lives on less than US$2 a day. Over 60 percent of the population is indigenous and lives in remote, rural areas where food security and child malnutrition are serious issues.

In Bolivia, there are many cultural challenges and sensitive issues relating to breastfeeding. Some of the negative beliefs are that breastfeeding a child immediately after birth causes babies to cry and feel pain or that breastfeeding eventually leads to chronic hunger and disrespectful children. 

To date, the changes promoted by breastfeeding campaigns to get to all families with children to help half of the undernourished children reach a healthy weight. The challenge will be to improve and reshape local perceptions, beliefs, and customs about breastfeeding to advance infant and maternal health in the region.

Nutritional deficiencies start within the first few minutes of life, and breastfeeding is a key aspect in improving overall family health. Intimate and trustworthy relationships were established with the communities during the program and mothers are taking the necessary steps to improve their children’s health. Breastfeeding campaigns contribution played an important role in advancing health for the infants of Bolivia.  http://www.pahef.org/en/successtories/39/18-breastfeeding-.html

Personal Goal

This information will help me to continue promoting breastfeeding information to all our Early Head Start families and partnering with parents to encourage them to participate in support groups.  The more knowledge parents can get about the benefits of breastfeeding, the better prepare parents will be to take wiser decision for a healthier life for their children.  I will take the lead in delivering the information through center based parent training activities.


4 comments:

  1. Rhonna,

    Your post was very interesting to read. I do not have children of my own but I have a God daughter and her mother experienced some of the problems that you did. She began breast feeding her and before her first birthday she was constantly sick and we could not figure out why. When we took her to the doctor they explained that the breast milk was causing her to stay sick. She was devastated because she also had a plan for her little one. I did some research and also found out that first time mothers have a difficult time producing enough milk. I enjoyed reading about the different parts of the world within this topic.

    Nice Post!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonna,
    When I read your personal story about breastfeeding, I felt that this probably happens more than you think. Not only with breastfeeding but with other issues as well. First time moms have many expectations but must learn that sometimes the plans we've made need to change for the best interest of the baby. Your story is a good story to share with other first time moms.
    Your research on Bolivia was very informative. I wouldn't have thought that there would have been such negative beliefs about breastfeeding even to the point that it puts the baby in pain. More education is definitely needed in that country. However cultural perceptions are very hard to change even with education. Thanks for all your information.
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting about breastfeeding. It is great that you did all you thought was needed in order to breastfeed your child but also knowing that you have not done anything wrong because you are not able or do not desire to breastfeed is also fine. Although a mother's milk is the most nutritional in most instances, babies can be healthy by drink regular infant mild also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post this week. The information provided was very interesting. I also attempted to breastfeed because I knew it would best for my son; however, i was not successful at doing so as well. I did not produce enough milk and stopped breastfeeding when my son was two months. Once understanding that he would be fine drinking formula, I did not beat myself for not being able to breastfeed. I encourage it to all mothers because the nutrition is very healthy.

    ReplyDelete

==>